Monday, July 7, 2014

Summer Remix Challenge Week 1


One week down, three more to go!  I've discovered through my other 20x30 challenges that it's easy putting together the first week's outfits.  Honestly, creating 30 different outfits isn't a difficult task.  The challenge for me is creating 30 different outfits to fit my lifestyle that I can be satisfied with.  However, I felt pretty good about this week because I feel like each outfit was functional and comfy.  You can see my list of 20 pieces here.

Please don't hold my nerdiness against me with the way I organized my photos.  I swear I am related to Monica and Ross Gellar.

Day 1: olive tee + striped skirt + black sandals + statement necklace
Occasion: chores then church cookout 

This skirt is the equivalent of yoga pants in this wardrobe.  It's a knit and I got it at Savers so I have no problem doing chores or playing in the sand with my kids in an outfit like this.  It's also cute enough to leave the house in.  I knotted my tee and added a statement necklace for good measure.   


Day 2: white tee + denim shorts + neutral sandals + olive cap
Occasion: library then baseball game with youth group 

I did a blog post about this outfit here.  I was so comfortable wearing this outfit all day and yet I felt more put together than any old tee and shorts.  Gotta love hats for bad hair days!


Day 3: striped shirt + black shorts + sandals + coral purse
Occasion: clearance sale shopping then niece's birthday party

I woke up on this day knowing that I'd be hitting the $1 clearance sale at Plato's Closet.  Comfy clothes that make it quick and easy to try on clothes in dressing room are a necessity.  You'll notice that many of the pieces I chose for this wardrobe are neutral.  I've learned to add color with accessories like I did here. 


Day 4: navy tee + white capris + flats + nails in "twin sweater set"
Occasion: 4th of July parade and cookout with family

Here's my subtle or not so subtle 4th of July outfit.  I didn't have anything red in my 20 pieces so I painted my nails red and I also have red shoes.  Again, you can always add a pop of color with shoes or even nail polish.  I've recently been painting my nails again now that I've discovered Essie!  I need to just write an entire post about my love for (free) Essie nail polish. 


Day 5: black t-shirt dress + olive vest + leopard slip-ons + turquoise jewelry
Occasion: Walmart and Sam's Club shopping for VBS

This outfit was me stepping out of my comfort zone.  The outfit itself was very comfy but I don't normally gravitate towards vests, dresses, or animal print.  It has taken challenges like these for me to try something different.  Again, this was a pretty neutral outfit for summer, so I added turquoise jewelry for some color pop.  "They" say leopard is considered a neutral.  It really does work!  These leopard slides are so comfy and were perfect for running around in. 



Day 6: white tee + jeans + kimono
Occasion: Sunday church

This is outfit was so simple I felt like I was cheating.  The jeans and tee are basic comfy pieces and the kimono does it all the work!  I wasn't sure about the kimono trend when I first saw it.  Then Merrick from Merrick's Art did a post on a simple kimono tutorial.  Although I bought this kimono at the mall while on vacation a few weeks ago, Merrick's easy tutorial has inspired me to make one myself!  I don't sew, (I almost failed 8th grade home economics) but my mother-in-law is a pro and has agreed to help me.  We'll see how that goes!

There you have it.  One week of outfits done!  I'll be linking up with Greater Than Rubies where you'll also see the other summer remix challenge participants, so go and be inspired by their remixes, too!


10 comments:

  1. Iris! You are doing so great! Love these outfits! My favorites has to be the dress and vest! Makes me want to go try to find a tee shirt dress! Love the striped skirt! And that kimono... I might need to bribe someone into making me one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Autumn! You are so sweet! Remixing is just so fun to do sometimes! It's like we never grow out of playing dress-up!

      Delete
  2. Great looks, Iris! I really like the way you're showing the details of your looks. And the wording you used is perfect- the hardest part is coming up with outfits that fit your lifestyle and you like from the pieces. You're off to a fantastic start, though. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Caitlin! I like having a place to document what I'm learning. I find myself saving time getting dressed in the morning, which just really helps me start my day!

      Delete
  3. Cute, cute! That black t-shirt dress looks just so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky! It really is! The only problem is my baby belly is kinda noticeable so I think I need to find a knit dress that flares out more. Or has rouging. I love dresses with rouging. Hides stuff. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on the "working with your lifestyle" part being the most challenging. I really like your looks so far! My favorite is the stripes with the colored purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I like that outfit, too! I may need to add more colored purses to my wardrobe! They are so fun! I've already gone kinda crazy with colored flats!

      Delete
  5. I really like the neutral palette of your outfits - I primarily dress in neutrals with a few splashes of color, and I think you've done a great job showing how basic items can look stylish and polished :)

    brynnash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brynn! I agree - adding colored accessories to basic neutral pieces are such an easy and inexpensive way to update an outfit and keep up with trends - a lesson I've recently learned!

      Delete