Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Birthday, America!

An experienced blogger would have had her 4th of July post written and ready to post during peak posting hours earlier today.  Unfortunately, I am not an experienced blogger.  My allergies started bothering me last night so I didn't feel very well last night or this morning.  I was able to sleep in (thanks to Mr. How being the ever-so-helpful husband by feeding and tending to the children) then managed to get dressed for the day and pop some allergy meds.

Today was Day 4 of my summer remix challenge.  Since I am limited to 20 pieces for the month of July, I wanted to put together a subtle, yet festive, outfit for the 4th of July.  Here's what I came up with:




The navy tee and the white jeans are two of my 20 pieces.  Did I cheat by adding the red layering tank underneath?  I actually decided not to wear it after taking these photos.  I did paint my nails red though, so technically I was wearing red, white, and blue.  


You'll notice I didn't include my feet in the photograph.  I wasn't quite sure what shoes I wanted to wear.  Does anyone else have that same dilemma?  I posted a picture of this outfit on Instagram with red flats, but even as comfy as flats can be, I needed "comfier" footwear.  I really wanted to wear my white Converse, but we were spending the day at my in-laws' where I'm often running in and out of the house chasing the kids.  I would be taking my shoes off and putting them back on - Hawaiian style - so I knew tennis shoes wouldn't be practical. In the end I decided to wear my neutral sandals.  These sandals truly are the perfect footwear for any summer occasion. Sandals are as comfortable and casual as flip flops (or slippahs as we say in Hawaii) but also a little dressier, so if you're not quite sure how dressy others will be at your event, they function both ways: casual and dressy. 
 
My in-laws moved here to our neck of the woods a couple of years ago to be closer to the grandbabies.  Poppy How owns an antique truck and he drives it in his city's 4th of July parade.  My son, K.D.* and his cousin, Rosie, were able to ride with Poppy this year! 




After the parade, we continued with our holiday festivities.  First, we went to my in-laws' house for a cookout.  There were hamburgers, hot dogs, sausages and all the fixings.  Next, the kids had a blast playing outside in the kiddie pool and with water guns.  After that, we always feed the ducks in the pond behind the house.  For dessert, my brother-in-law made THE (pronounced thee) best homemade ice cream ever.  I dubbed him the Dairy King.  Finally, when the sun set we all sat and snuggled and watched the nearby city fireworks show from the driveway.  

Spending time with people you love and celebrating the freedom we have as Americans is what this holiday is about.  May we never take for granted the blessings we have in this great country God created for us. 

How was your 4th of July?  Did you put together a festive outfit?  Linking up with Mix and Match FashionRespect the Shoes, and The Modern Austen!

2 comments:

  1. Cute look for the holiday! I know exactly what you mean about shoes. It can be frustrating, but you can't go wrong with neutral sandals. Also, I've been blogging for over two years and I still didn't have a post up and ready for the 4th :P Life gets in the way sometimes! Thanks so much for linking up, Iris :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marissa! Thanks for stopping by and thanks for hosting the link up! I visited your blog awhile ago and then kinda took a break from reading blogs - mostly it was because I never have time during the school year - but in the summer I have more time! You do an awesome job!

      Delete