Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Lovely Lookbook: Fall Colors Edition

It's fall, y'all!  Living in the south has really affected my vocabulary, among other things.  I now own quite a collection of big pieces of jewelry, and I have recipes for several casseroles memorized.  Growing up in Hawaii where it's 80 degrees year round, I never had that anticipation for fall.  Now I look forward to the cooler weather where I can bust out the jeans, boots, and layers.  Ah yes, the layers.

This past Saturday, our family of four joined Poppy and Grammie How and Mr. How's sister and her family of five for our annual How Family visit to the pumpkin patch: a very sincere pumpkin patch if I may say so myself.  It was the perfect day to wear fall colors for the October edition of The Lovely Lookbook hosted by Caitlin and Sarah of Greater Than Rubies and Tucker Up, respectfully.



We've been coming to this pumpkin patch for the past four years now, but sometimes getting dressed for an outing like this can be sorta tricky.  One year it was incredibly cold.  Another year it was really hot. Last year, it had rained the day before, so it was muddy.  Also, I can't ever decide if I should dress up so as to look cute in family pictures, or if I should dress down because of all the dirt I accumulate on my clothes from the hay ride, the hay bale maze, sunflower maze, petting zoo, corn kernel pit, and the pumpkin patch itself. 

Cute and comfy was my goal, and I think I pulled it off. Because I've pared down my closet, it was very easy for me to get dressed that morning.  First, I knew I needed layers. It was a gorgeous sunny day with a nippy little breeze, so I chose denim jeggings and a white v-neck tee as my base. I then layered a blue gingham button-down shirt over that and then an olive puffer vest as a completer piece.  I chose cognac ankle boots, instead of tall ones, since it was only around 75 degrees.  If it got too warm, I knew I could just remove the vest or tie my gingham layer around my waist.  I also decided to wear blue because I imagined it would look best against the orange of the pumpkins, since blue and orange contrasting colors.  Voila!  


All afternoon I was comfy, and I felt cute and confident at the same time.  We took some nice family pictures, and I didn't worry about my outfit getting dirty!  High fives all around!

Linking up with The Pleated Poppy for What I Wore Wednesday, Get Your Pretty On for I Feel Pretty, and The Modern Austen for Sunday Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment