Friday, July 25, 2014

My First Sewing Project: Kimono Cardigan


I lied.  This is not my first sewing project.  However, this is my first sewing project in over two decades.  That should count for something right?  I haven't touched a sewing machine since 8th grade Home Economics when I almost failed the "threading the machine" test.  I learned how to sew an apron and a drawstring bag that semester, but it was such a tedious, time-consuming, altogether frustrating experience that I subconsciously told myself I would never sew anything again.

My mother-in-law (my kids call her Grammie) has always enjoyed sewing - especially quilting.  My sister-in-law and her friends started meeting for a sewing class with her once a week.  I was, of course, invited, but I had no intention of ever joining.  Until now.  Actually let me clarify.  Until Pinterest. 

To make a long story short, I kept seeing all these super cute DIY/sewing tutorials getting pinned on the boards of the crafty people I follow.  One of my favorite style bloggers is Merrick of Merrick's Art and she posts a bunch of amazing sewing tutorials.  One that really caught my eye and looked simple enough was her kimono cardigan tutorial.  All you had to do was cut some material, sew some stitches in a few places and voila!  For a beginner like myself it wasn't that easy, but once Grammie taught me the basics - she really is an outstanding teacher - I got the hang of it and had a lot of fun!  I can't wait to start on another sewing project!



Since I already have a black and white paisley kimono cardigan, I chose a colorful floral material for summer, but could also be worn in the fall.  What I also love about this trend is that it's a lightweight cardigan, perfect for summer weather when they crank up the AC indoors and it's sweltering hot outside. 



Yes, I really did wear this outfit today.  Our local Friends of the Library is having one of their huge book sales downtown this weekend.  It's something that our little family attends almost religiously.  I wore my kimono with comfy momma style basics: a white tee, denim shorts, and neutral sandals.  Adding the kimono gave my outfit an artsy feel; perfect for browsing books at the eclectic used bookstore pre-sale party for Friends of the Library members only.

Do you sew?  What is your favorite DIY project?  

Linking up with  The Modern Austen, Get Your Pretty On, Mix and Match Fashion and Phiphi's Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment